Saturday - August 19, 2017 (3:27 am)

The Barbour County Historical Museum


The Philippi Covered Bridge




The Philippi Covered Bridge was built in 1852 by Lemuel Chenoweth, one of America's master covered bridge builders. Made of yellow poplar and incorporating the famous Burr Arch Truss, the 280.5 foot structure is the only remaining "double barreled" covered bridge serving a United Sates highway.

On June 3, 1861, the bridge was forever etched in American history when it became the scene of the first land battle of the Civil War.

The Barbour County Historical Museum is conveniently located next to the Covered Bridge in downtown Philippi. (click for Bridge Brochure)